5718 Westheimer Road
Suite 1100
Houston, TX 77057

Tel: 800.878.1807 (U.S. Toll Free)
Tel: 950.4034.8985 (中国直拨)
Fax: 866.608.2766
Email: contact@niwus.com 

Liu & Associates

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Login
    Login Login form

Can I serve my two-year home residence requirement in the U.S. or a third country?

Posted by on in J-1 Waiver
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 6156
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print

The period of time a former exchange visitor spends in the U.S. or a third country may count towards fulfillment of the two-year home residence requirement if the person is employed by his or her government in its military service or career foreign service and that person is serving in a country other than the home country at the behest of his/her government. Before the Department can determine that the individual has satisfied the foreign residence requirement, we require a written statement from an official of the home government (through the home-country's embassy in Washington, D.C.) that the individual was or will be serving in the U.S. or third country in the service of his/her home country and at that government's request.

Request A Free Evaluation