5718 Westheimer Road
Suite 1100
Houston, TX 77057

Tel: 800.878.1807 (U.S. Toll Free)
Tel: 950.4034.8985 (中国直拨)
Fax: 866.608.2766
Email: contact@niwus.com 

Liu & Associates

I came to the U.S. from a country other than Canada on a J-1 visa, and after completion of my J program I moved to Canada and acquired landed immigrant status in Canada, which country am I subject to return to for my two-year residence requirement -- my former country of residence or my current one, Canada?

You are subject to return to your former country of residence. J-1 regulations stipulate that an exchange visitor is subject to the country of his/her legal permanent residence at the time that the visitor acquires the J-1 status. The visitor must return to his/her former country of residence in order to fulfill the two-year home residence requirement or he/she must receive a waiver of the requirement.

After a favorable recommendation for a waiver is m...
Can I apply for a waiver based both on the excepti...

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.niwus.com/

Request A Free Evaluation